9th November Day 1 Reflections - Chiu Chen Ning

Posted by Anonymous at 10:16 pm

  1. 3 words to describe today's experiences
Informative, eye-opening and unique.

  1. 3 highlights of the day
I enjoyed the visit to the POSCO Museum and tour of its facilities as it gave me insight into the history of the Korean steel manufacturing industry, and how the production of steel was made more efficient with innovative technologies. I enjoyed our visit to the POSCO iron processing plant as I could see how iron slabs could be made into thin sheets using sophisticated machinery and computer monitoring systems, showing me how technology could be applied to industry. Finally, our Korean barbeque at Jagalchi Market gave me the experience of cooking for my schoolmates, allowing us to have a fun experience while filling our stomachs.

  1. 3 things you have learnt about Korea
I have learnt that steel manufacturing was an important cornerstone that marked Korea's transition into a modernised country via technological advances in the production process. Also, Korean society prides itself on hard work and dedication, as shown by the recognition given to historical figures like the POSCO founders for modernising their country. Additionally, stall vendors at Jalgachi market helped keep the economy afloat during the 1997 Asian Financial Crisis.

  1. 3 things you have learnt about yourself
I have learned that great ingenuity and entrepreneurship is required to succeed in harsh conditions, as seen in the success of the POSCO founders in modernising Korea with their innovative solutions in manufacturing steel and persuasive reasoning with clients. Also, one needs to be proactive in asking questions to understand their surroundings better, such as at the POSCO plant where we could ask questions regarding the steel manufacturing process. Finally, the viewing of the POSCO blast furnaces allowed me to visualise the same concepts of blast furnaces taught in Chemistry lessons better, making me appreciate the real-life applications of my coursework.

  1. 3 things you didn't do so well
During the tour around POSCO, I failed to ask questions and thus could only gather information from observation of the plant and the tour guide's speech. As such, I would like to be more proactive in asking questions to further my understanding during future opportunities. I also did not utilise my time fully on the bus and instead took a nap halfway through my reflections. I will prioritise my time better in the future during periods of inactivity to ensure that I make the most out of my stay. Finally, I delayed the group for a short while at customs as I forgot to remove metal items from my bag. This incident taught me to be more careful when reading regulations so as not to break the rules unknowingly.

  1. 3 things you look forward to tomorrow
I look forward to the curricular activities at Busan Science High School and will do my best to ask questions to clarify my understanding of new concepts taught. Also, I hope to further my knowledge of Korean history from the POSCO Museum visit by attending the traditional tea ceremony. Lastly, I am excited about meeting new friends at Busan High School, furthering my horizons and strengthening my cross-culturing understanding of people from different backgrounds.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts