Day 3 Reflections - Janice Tan

Posted by Anonymous at 11:05 pm

Connect
During the chemistry lesson today, we used a UV-vis spectrophotometer which I had experience using in Biotechnology. It was also used to measure the absorbance and concentration of the substances in the cuvette like it was back in SST. I also used equipment like pipettes to draw out a precise volume of liquids that I had used back in SST as well. During the biology lesson, we did gel electrophoresis which was very similar to SDS-PAGE (sodium dodecyl sulfate gel electrophoresis) that I had done back in SST, as the steps were all highly similar. Thanks to all these experiences I had beforehand, I was able to follow the lesson effectively. Otherwise, it would be quite difficult to understand.

Extend
Despite being familiar with the process of using a spectrophotometer, I learned that it could also be used to measure the absorbance and concentration of substances like Vitamin C at a wavelength of 260 nm, similarly the absorbance and concentration the absorbance and concentration of DNA are also at 260nm Previously, I thought that it could only be used to measure the absorbance and concentration of DNA and protein, so the lesson was enriching. 

Challenge
I learned that the same method of using a UV spectrophotometer could be used to measure the absorbance and concentration of many types of substances, such as DNA, protein and even Vitamin C. I am interested in finding out the limitations of the machine and I will research more about it. I also wish to find out what other substances it can measure, by researching on it during the holidays.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts